Friday, March 14, 2014

London 4

This was our last day in London, but we did not have a flight until later in the afternoon. I was on my own for the morning so I decided to spend that morning in the National Gallery.

I got there before the museum opened though, and so I strolled around Trafalgar square for a bit taking in the sites. (I'll admit to it raining a little this morning.)

St Martins-in-the-Field
There are four plinths in Trafalgar Square, the statue that was to go on the fourth plinth was never finished, so now the plinth is used to display different artistic pieces. Hence the blue rooster.

Art on the fourth plinth 
You can't tell from this picture but this is one of four Lion's at the base of Nelson's column, these lions are massive. Sitting at one of the lion's feet was a young woman putting on ballerina shoes while a friend took a picture. It was enchanting and I wish I knew the back story or had the courage to take a photo myself.

One of the lion at the base of Nelson's column
My first trip to London (and really the only time I had spent any time in the city) was when I was 13 years old. I really did not remember much about that trip, including the fact that I had already been to the National Gallery before. The memories came flooding back to me as I entered the galleries that hold the impressionistic paintings. There I remember my mom (who majored in art) showing me the works of Monet, Van Gogh, Pissaro, Degas etc. and showing me how to first look at the painting up close and then cross the room to look again to see the magic of the painting coming together. This is the museum  that sparked my love for impressionism. A beautiful memory.

Fountain and National Gallery
All to soon it was lunch time and I made my Picadilly Circus to meet my husband and a friend of his for lunch.




Unbelievably, we had some excellent Mexican food. It was wonderful to catch up with Javi's friend, and all too soon it was time for him to go back to work. So we made our way back to the hotel room, snapping photos and looking through book stores on the way.


The theater district and China Town touch, or are melded (never did find out which). There was a wonderful mix of pubs, theater signs and beautiful buildings.







I know that I could live here. I loved every minute of my time in London.


No comments:

Post a Comment