Monday, November 21, 2011

Coasting

Greetings everyone! 
A wondrous thing has happened and I start a full time job on Wednesday! Right now I am intensively training and doing my homework to prepare.
As a nice break between training and my homework I decided to take advantage of the sun and take a series of photos on my window legde. White window legdes are wonderful things, they reflect the sun like nobody's business. 

>>I will pause here so you can imagine me taking all of the photos for the next several posts on my window legde while being observed by several bemused neighbors.<<

Here is my last pet project:
 I am making cross-stitch coasters out of handspun yarn.


 The green star above is made out of wool from the same breed of sheep as the background wool. The green is Corriedale wool, and the background wool (in all three) is a thick and thin CorridaleX held double. I love how the Corriedale has more shine and luster than the dyed wool in the last two (which are Merino)

 I choose a 19 row Norwegian Star pattern out of Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting for my star pattern in the center. Since knitting stranded (two colors or more at are carried once) produces square stitches, you can use those charts for cross stitch.
I plan to make at least 6, all with different color stars.

I love that I found a way to showcase my left over handspun in a way that can be enjoyed daily. Wool absorbs water well, and is naturally dirt resistant which are both good coaster characteristics. Plus I love their country/ Northern European charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment